Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Olivia's eyes

When I was little, I wished I had blue eyes. I always disliked my brown eyes. My sister has brown eyes, but her's have flecks of gold in them. Mine don't. They're just brown.

Olivia, like just about every other baby on the planet, was born with slatey grey eyes. I won't lie... I was very excited about that. And I was disappointed when her's turned brown. Because I was one of those people that just disses on brown eyes.

Claire has crystal blue eyes. They're gorgeous. I think Claire is well aware of her gorgeous blue eyes, and she plays it to her advantage.

But the secret of mine... I am in love with Olivia's eyes. They're so brown, so very deep and dark, that I feel like she looks straight through you...

I used to read, like all the time. And one of my favorite books was Alice by Sara Flanigan. Every once in a while, I get a moment to myself, and I typically chose to take a bath while reading old books of mine. While re-reading Alice, I came upon a passage that explains perfectly how I feel about Olivia's eyes.


Olivia



(the main character has come upon a doe giving birth to a baby) "I looked right into the eyes of the doe and my life ain't never been the same since. How can I tell you what it was like? How can you tell about the end of lightning? How can you tell about the stopping of rivers, or the turning off of the night? What's to say? Right in them big liquid, sad and wise, dark eyes was the story of Life. And the story of God, and the story of Love. I seen a picture of Jesus once. He had blue eyes and I remember thinking it just wadn't right. The eyes was blank and pale and they didn't know nothing. And right then, right there in tthem quiet woods with the gentle sounds of nature all around me, I knowed if I could paint the eyes of Jesus, they would be just like that doe's."

Photobucket

No comments: