Monday, October 27, 2008

just give me a sign

I wish I had a better memory. In college, I remember studying many different photographers, and one couple in paticular confused me. They would photograph water-towers around the country. There were a ton of rules they followed (always shot in black and white, always had to be an overcast day, the water tower had to take up 2/3s of the picture... ect) At the time, I thought it was the weirdest, most boring thing ever to photograph. And yet, I borrowed one of their books from the library, and looked at every single image.

So why do I tell that story... there's a church right by my house - I drive by it every day. It has one of those signs in front, and they change the message pretty frequently. My husband and I look forward to yelling out the message when it changes. The other day when I was out driving, I passed a different church, with a similar message board. It got me thinking about how I love reading those messages. And I thought about photographing the signs... which got me thinking of the couple and their water-towers.

So I'm going to give it a shot. Be prepared for church signs people. I haven't decided if I'll have a bunch of rules yet... I just wanted to take the picture and get the ball rolling.


1 comment:

Luv2fishpink said...

Great Idea! Look forward to more!