Wednesday, December 30, 2009

all about Rockerfeller

Friday was Rockerfeller day. Jessica has talked up going to the 'Top of the Rock' pretty much ever since she's moved to NYC. It's just like going to the top of the Empire State Building... except you can see the Empire State Building! I was sold. Like before, by this point in the trip, I had this feeling of if we didn't get to Rockerfeller, I wouldn't mind. And then after doing it, I couldn't imagine not doing it. It was that cool. You can buy one time visit passes, or you can get morning/evening passes, so that you can go up twice in one day. We went with the morning/evening.


tord 1

tord 2

The cool church from a few posts ago
tord 3

tord tim glass

tord 4

The front desk people had warned us that it was overcast and cloudy, and might not be the best day for viewing. But I love how the clouds turned out in the pictures, so I was fine with it (though I agree that it was quite a bit hazy up there)

331 of 365: limitless
331

The Statue of Liberty looks so small from here!
tord 5

The New Years ball never comes down (which I never knew) so I got a shot of the 2009
tord 6

tord 7

tord 8

I loved the actual building facade of the Rockerfeller
tord side

tord tim esc

I loved Rockerfeller Plaza, only because now I can say I stood where the Today Show does their outside segments, and where those wide shots for Saturday Night Live are taken. We didn't end up going to a Today Show airing (way early, plus the regulars weren't there) and we didn't ice skate (long long long long long lines) But it is so neat!
Rock tree 1

Rock tree 2

Rock fountain

Rock angels

The Plaza is lined with Flags. I found Ohio!
Rock flag

Rock ice skate

These weren't at Rockerfeller, but how neat are they??
lights

We went shopping after our trip in the sky. We spent more on this day then we did if you combined every other day on the trip. We went to Tims two favorite stores in NYC: The official NHL store, and the Nintendo Store. The NHL store was a bit of a bummer, only because there was very little Blue Jackets stuff. Though it's to be expected, given how bad of a team we are. I saw the cutest ornaments, and if they had had it in Blue Jacket, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat.
ornament

And there was a motorcycle in the front window. I took a picture of it so Tims dad could see.
motorcycle

After shopping, we headed back to the apartment to drop things off, eat, and rest. Well Tim rested. I photographed the apartment. And Pretzel. Pretzel is my sisters Chiuaua. He is the best dog. According to Jessica, he was an utter spaz for about 2 years, but he's great now. Tim adored Pretzel, which is something I never thought would happen. He's just not a little dog kind of guy. But he talked about stealing Pretzel away in our luggage many times on the trip.
pret 1

pret 2

pret 3

pret 4

Pretzel loved when Tim would nap on the couch
pret 5

So we met up with my cousin Stephanie when we went back to the Top of the Rock at night. Even though she's been living in NYC for a few months now, she hadn't gone to the Top of the Rock either. I have to say, night time was really cool, but I honestly enjoyed day time better. Which is SO NOT what I predicted I would feel. But I didn't bring a tripod with me, so in the beginning, all of my shots were looking like this...
torn 1

Oh, here's Steph and Me
me and steph

I did finally wise up and started resting my camera on ledges. After the first shot, I realized I had my camera far to back on the ledge...
torn 2

...so I pushed my camera right up to the very edge of the ledge, just holding on to the strap. It made both Stephanie and Tim very nervous. But I was confident my camera wouldn't fall.
torn 3

torn 4

torn 5

Photobucket

No comments: