Monday, December 28, 2009

Thanksgiving Eve

I woke up the day before Thanksgiving with one thing on the brain: "I must see the Statue of Liberty before I go." Up until this point, I was just happy to see what I saw, and so didn't really weigh in too heavily on what I wanted to see. But I knew if I didn't go see her, I would be so upset with myself. Just her shear size - I know she's small compared to just about everything else in NYC, but she's a STATUE! Someone created that! And Liberty is just HUGE when you think about that! So I was determined to see her.

But first, Jessica cut my hair! Well before that we had to find her salon. Which involved taking a different train then we were used to. So Tim, being the navigator of the two of us, talked to Jessica on the phone to find out how to get where we were going, and off we went. About 30 minutes later we came to a cool bridge. I even took a picture of it.


Bridge to the Bronx

After we crossed the bridge, we realized we made a grave mistake. We were walking into the Bronx. The total opposite direction we were supposed to go. So we called Jessica, turned around, and proceded to walk the entire width of Manhatten island that morning. But we eventually made it to the salon. What I find cool about where my sister works - its right next door to Tom's Restaurant. If you don't know Tom's Restaurant, then man you need to watch some late night re-runs! Here's a memory jog.

Toms restaurant

We didn't eat there, because the food sucks, but HOW COOL!

And then Tim played photographer when I got my hair cut. Sure non of the pictures were in focus, but look how flat my hair was!! I've never seen my hair so flat and wonderful! It didn't last because it was foggy/misty/rainy out, but man it was gorgeous while it was there.
My hair 1

My hair 2

So we headed off to the Statue of Liberty. I made us take a ferry out to see her, because I was not going to be satisfied with seeing her from the dock. I mean this is the view you get of her (which I'm sure is nice when its clear out, but even if it had been clear I would have wanted to go out)
Statue of Liberty very far

I mean this was as close as my zoom was going to get from Manhatten
Statue of Liberty far

I've determined NYC makes taxis out of everything
taxi

On the ferry, I went out onto the bow to take pictures. Tim, well he sulked inside (he was so not interested with going onto the island)

Statue of Liberty 1

329 of 365: Lady Liberty
329

Statue of Liberty back

Liberty 1

I don't blame Tim for being a pain that morning... it was nasty out
fog

So Tim offered to take my picture with Lady Liberty. I was thrilled, handed over the camera and hopped up onto the grassy area. Tim takes a picture, and I look at it...
me with liberty 1

He chopped her head off!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, he says "But you can see you alright, and you know it's the Statue of Liberty" Okay okay, but I know what I look like, and I wanted all of her in the picture. During our spat, I took an image of Tim, which is now my favorite picture of him ever...
Tim with Statue of Liberty

Amazing. But he did take a great picture of me with the statue right after.
me with liberty 2

Even love the composition! Nice job Tim!

Back on land I took a few more pictures...

cool buildings
old buildings

wreckage from the World Trade Center
World Trade wreckage

And then my camera died. And it turned out, my backup battery... dead also. Seriously it was like barely one o'clock in the afternoon, and I had no camera. It was lame.

But I have to tell you about ground zero. When we got off the ferry from the two islands, Tim and I just started walking the direction of shrouded buildings. So when we saw ground zero, we didn't see the 'official' ground zero. We just walked up from a random street. And, while I know it annoys some New Yorkers when tourists take pictures of it, I was upset that I couldn't. Because it is so impressive and scary. So incredibly destructive, even after almost a decade. I mean its still just an empty space. A hole. And I've said before, that New York uses every avaliable space, which just makes ground zero that much more breathtakingly horrific. It's so scary to think that someone hated us so much to cause that kind of devestation.

So from there, we headed back to the apartment. We were both drained, and I wanted to charge the batteries to my camera. My sister had left for her friends house where we were going to have Thanksgiving dinner, and she invited me along. Let me tell you, her friend John lives in the most incredible apartment. He swears he got a great deal because of the economy, but I think he had someone killed for it. It's big! It's as big as apartments in Ohio, and thats saying something! But I have a few snapshots of Jessica and John prepping for dinner the next day. They were so cute!

Jessica and John

Jessica

Jessica and John and a Turkey 2

Jessica and John and a Turkey 1

John

The next day was the parade!!!

Photobucket

No comments: