Monday, December 14, 2009

Nov 23rd: part two

As I said before, the big news about Monday was that Tim and I had a hockey game to go to.

Now we live in Columbus Ohio, and being that Tim is a major hockey fan, he obviously likes the Blue Jackets (though the team is sucking... like a lot...) Tim and I planned our NYC trip back in June. JUNE! I think it was in September or October that the game schedule came out. Tim had planned on going to a NYC Rangers game if one played while we were there, regardless of who the Rangers were up against, but neither of us thought this would happen. Oh yeah, Blue Jackets played the Rangers on Monday! So off to Madison Square Garden we went.


xMadison1

Walking up to it, I had no idea how to get in. I think we went to the right. It's not very big, which I guess at this point we should have expected.

xMadison2

I thought the inside was neat. It's definitely a very old stadium. Yes the seats were those colors - I did not enhance them! It was also really closed in. I think Tim said it had the same number of seats in it as Nationwide Arena in Ohio, but had we had the same seats in Nationwide, we would have been so high, it would have definitely qualified as nosebleeds. In Madison Square, I would not have called our seats nosebleeds... it was actually a great spot to me!
xMadison3

xMadison4

Tim, obviously, was in heaven
xTim

During warm-up, I realized that people could go down close to the ice to take pictures. I'm dumb and had never really thought to do that before. I ran down there, but missed Nash (Olivia's favorite player.) The usher actually moved me so that I was like right there on the ice - look how close my pics are!
xhockey1

xhockey2

I didn't take too many pictures during the actual game. I'm slightly mad at myself, because the Blue Jackets actually played a good game for almost an entire period! We were up 2-0 and were way up on the Rangers in shots on goal. That's impressive for you non-hockey fans! I should have taken a picture of the dang scoreboard!

Now what I loved Loved LOVED about watching the Rangers in Madison Square: It's people my age who love and understand Hockey. You have to hear where I'm coming from. Ohio is a football town. Always has been, always will. I've accepted that. So when you go to a hockey game at Nationwide, the crowds aren't the same as true through and through hockey fans. Don't get me wrong - there are those people there (believe you me every single person in my husbands family falls in that crowd) but the vast majority of people there are just people curious of what hockey is and have a free night, or they won tickets somehow: either through work or whatever. So the jumbo screen gets a lot of action. Lots of people paying attention to the thing - clapping along with the thing - looking to the thing for it to tell you what to do. Not so at Madison Square Gardens. You might as well have taken the thing down. Everyone knew what to do. And when their team was sucking (like when their team let such a crappy team as the Blue Jackets be up 2-0), the crowd boo-d the team until they played better.

Thats right, they BOO-D THEIR OWN TEAM!! OMG it was so cool to be in! Tim actually warned me ahead of time that it might happen. I think he was reading the crowd better than me, and he leaned over and said "Just so you know, this isn't like Ohio. This crowd won't let their team suck like we will." And let me tell you, the boo-ing lit a FIRE under the Rangers... they scored 7, yes SEVEN more goals, and then we scored two final more before the end of the game... us losing 7-4. Man it was a great game! And we got HECKLED! Sure, I brought it on myself, but all in good fun. Oh and I got a Free Rangers Santa hat with my $10 Cotton Candy.

After the game, we took our time getting back to the apartment... partly on purpose, and partly on accident. Lets talk about the Subway
subway

I think I love the Subway. I would give up my car in a heartbeat if we had a subway system like NYC in Columbus, I love it that much. It wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be. Though, there was that one that was ick ick ick, but Jessica's roommate Matt said it was a weird train for us to have been on in the first place (we were lost, and took a J train) so really every train we were supposed to be on was cool. Most of them were packed, much like this.
xsubway

Tim posed for this picture in front of a train we thought wasn't ours, and realized afterwards that yes, in fact it had been ours, and now we had to wait for another. Some trains are express trains, and some are local, but then after hours only a local runs but it was the express train... I don't know, it gets confusing to me. Tim and I never did find out when "After Hours" is exactly. NYC most definitely lives up to it's 'the city that never sleeps' hype.
xsubway tim

I've joked with a few people that I want to make a small book for myself titled "Tim's bored in New York" because he looks so dang bored in every photo I took! It's not his fault, he just photographs that way, but its hilarious!

Cool mosaic wall in the subway
xcool wall1

Tim bored in front of cool mosaic wall in the subway
xcool wall2

I wish I had been able to get a shot of my sister like this... I terribly wanted an image of someone waiting for a subway, and for the person to be in focus, and the train to be rushing past them. In my head it looked so cool. Tim, well, he's doing some weird thing with his chin - but the shot is still kinda cool
xTim subway

Want to know how much I loved the Subway? I still have my metro card in my wallet! I realized it yesterday that I never took it out. I'll probably keep it in there too, just as a reminder. We lived in the subways for that whole week!


Photobucket

1 comment:

heather@thelittlethings said...

I just checked out your NYC pics! I love them!! It looks like you had a great time. :)