Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lets have a PARADE!

The whole purpose of going to NYC when we went to NYC was to see the Macy's Day Parade. Of all the fun/famousy things that happen in NYC (the Macy's Parade, lighting of the Rockerfeller Tree, the New Years ball, etc) this was the thing I WANTED to see! To warn in advance, this post is going to be FILLED with pictures!

So we got up early, and headed to Central Park West. We landed at 64th and Central Park West, which is closer to the start of the parade then the end.

p001

More of me attempting myspace-ish type pictures
w0074

Here at our spot was where we had our one and only encounter with a famous person. Randy, from Say Yes to the Dress, watched the parade from the ledge directly behind us. Of course, I took two not so flattering pictures of the guy.
p058

p061

I actually heard him before I saw him. He has the best voice ever. I didn't say anything to him, because I figured he just wanted to see the parade like me, and there was no reason to get all weird about it. I say this right after I show you guerrilla-style photos I took of him, so sure I am being a little hypocritical. Shoot me!

So when we first got to our spot, I thought it was crowded. We were in the back row of about 4 rows of people. But the start of the parade, we were pushed up to the second row of about 10 rows of people... sardines man! We knew the parade was starting because the tv helicopters started circling, and people started craning over to our left...
p109

p133

Okay the floats aren't going to be entirely in order... sorry about that! I do know that this one float had mirrors all along the side of it, and Tim poked me and said "You should try to get a shot of you in the mirror." The girl next to me (who I think was also a photographer like me, and was definitely not from New York) was trying to get the same shot too. Both of us were convinced we missed it, but upon further inspection when I got back to Ohio...

Full shot
w0437

Hey thats ME! Right in front! With my new Parade friend. And a guy looking at us like we're idiots....
w0437close

My favorite people walking around were the ones on stilts. Love those guys!
p163

The energizer bunny actually would stop and spin around periodically. Genius!
p184

p198

p200

Hey there's Cyndi Lauper!
p281

Jimmy Fallon
p380

p361

Some band... I think it was Boys like Girls? Something like that... I just liked that they were taking pictures of the crowd
p296

Awwww Sesame Street
p216

This confetti was all over EVERYTHING! We ended bringing it to Ohio with us!
p252

Some random older ladies called the Ohio Purple Peddlers. I don't know of them, but apparently they peddle
p341

DORA!!!!
w0420

The people holding down the balloons wear these smocks, and I loved the Dora handlers, because they had Backpack on their backs. So awesome! (a note on those people - they yell to the crowd too... we were chanting for Spongebob)
p427

I think this guy in the fireman float had the BEST seat
p230

p233

Oh Gabba..... YO GABBA GABBA! I'm not going to lie, I got SO EXCITED when I saw their radio in the distance. And editting these pictures were hard, because the girls would get upset when I'd change to a picture that wasn't these guys...
p320

p315

330 of 365: Dj Lance Dj Lance DJ Lance ROCK!
330

So there were kids at the parade (not just me) and this one little boy... he was so cute! Blonde, blue eyed, sweet as can be. He just couldn't wait to see Buzz Lightyear. He had his Buzz Lightyear shirt on, and his Buzz Lightyear toy... his dad was worried he wouldn't stay awake long enough to see Buzz, but the kid made it.
p404

p405

p513

I loved watching the balloons as they were leaving, since everyone's looking at whats coming ahead.
p533

Loved this float too... it would rock every time she stopped
p505

Papa Smurf, give me a "what what"
p490

p495

p443

I love this santa balloon... I might print this up to use as a decoration at Christmas time
p465

p531

Awww its Santa! Which means its over! But how cool was his sleigh??
p549

And now it's time for the masses.... the shear amount of people at the Parade is just staggering. The street is barracaded off, so you can't cross the street at any point. There are officials who follow he end of the parade, moving the barracades in so that people can move again. And its just a SEA of people.
p570

P573

Tim and I crossed into Central Park to sit for a minute, before heading off to China Town. The ultimate goal was to get to Little Italy, to see if anything was open to eat. We weren't going to have Thanksgiving dinner until late late into the evening, so we needed to eat a lunch now. In China town, we got lost. I mean LOST! Here's a couple random things I decided to photograph.
Lost in Chinatown

random bridge

So, like I said, we got lost. Like super lost to the point of going home. Tim at one point said "Man if I only had a map." So there's a series of pictures like this one on my camera. I literally went down into the subway, and photographed small sections of the map from where we were to where we wanted to be. It actually worked out really well... I just looked like I was checking my camera constantly.
subway map

We found an open restaurant, had lunch, went back to Jessica's, slept, and got ready and went to her friend Johns house. She and John made a fantastic dinner, and there was just so much food!!
Thanksgiving 1

Thanksgiving 2

I didn't take many photos, because I wanted to actually be at the party, rather then photograph the party, but here's what I did get. I love how Tim looks bored to death - he wasn't, he actually enjoyed himself more then he thought he would. I thought it was fantastic, and was sad when it was all done. Definitely a great way to spend a holiday!
Thanksgiving 5

Thanksgiving 4

Thanksgiving 3

*phew* that was one heck of a post!

Photobucket

No comments: