Sunday, December 13, 2009

Nov 23rd in NYC: part one

Sorry for the slack again. I have to start breaking the days down into smaller bits, or each post is going to be hella long! Even with it broken down, they're going to be long!

The big news about Monday was that Tim and I had a hockey game to go to. More on that later. So the morning/afternoon of Monday was more for Jessica and I to shop, and obviously more sightseeing.

Up until this point, Tim had complained about the lack of video game stores in NYC (and honestly, there really is a lack of video game stores... what up with that??) But on shopping day, we found a building that was spouting steam, and below it, a Best Buy! Jessica and I did not go there - we went to Filenes Basement (which I probably butchered the spelling of) and got some fabulous dresses (me for Thanksgiving, and her for her birthday extravaganza that we missed by one day)

smoke building

Everyone keeps asking me what my favorite part of NYC was. Its a logical question, but my honest answer? There's just so much to photograph! I honestly could just wander forever and not get bored. Like here, random picture of a cool building with a clock, and some dude selling hotdogs and fruit
street

LOVE IT! Want another cool building with a clock??
clock building

BA BAM!

Okay enough silliness... but in all honesty, loved that part. Really the only thing I managed to not take a picture of that I meant to was of the Brownstones. They're neat. And there's a couple different types (I think Jessica said it had something to do with when they were built) and we saw them practically every day, and I managed not to photograph them. Sucks. They remind me of Sesame Street.

Big neat building of this day? The Flat Iron Building. Its cool! Now, if there's one thing I learned about NYC, its that there is NO WASTED SPACE! I mean literally, if they can build a structure there, by god there's a structure there. So it seems like every building rounds a corner, or at least cuts off around the corner. But the Flat Iron Building is by far the most impressive. We came up from behind the building.
flat iron back

I could tell from there that it was the Flat Iron! So cool!
flat iron2

flat iron1

flat iron base

Oh another thing I didn't get a picture of? This entire building top to bottom in one shot. It would have required me to change lenses. I know I know, you're saying to yourself "Heather! But why didn't you just change lenses??" NYC is overwhelming, and at the beginning of the trip, while it dawned on me that I should be changing lenses and taking as many images as possible, I was afraid of missing out on something by slowing down. I got over that by the end of the trip ;)

Oh but look closely at this shot - its the Flat Iron up close and personal. The Sprint ad is right inside the rounded glass window of the front - you can see the sidewalk going down the other side. I could wrap my arms around the building if I wanted to!
flat iron store front

Another big thing we saw that day? The Empire State Building. Okay, I'm going to admit it... I wasn't all that into the Empire State Building. I don't really have a reason why, just wasn't. But I love the shots I got.
Empire State 2

Empire State 1

We had to walk down fashion district to get to Madison Square Gardens. I have to admit, I literally squeeled, and turned around to Tim and squeeked "ITS PARSONS!!!!" Jessica hadn't even had a chance to point it out. I watch too much tv LOL!
fashiondistrict parsons

Bryant Park was neat. There's a carousel that was really neat inside. No, we didn't ride it (shoulda dang it!)
bryant park

And there were a couple neat statues on the way. I remember studying the dude that made the needle and button. I swear, mom-dom has ruined my brain, and I can't remember the guys name, but it was impressive seeing it in person
fashiondistrict needlethread

You can see this guy sewing in the other picture, but here's a closeup
fashiondistrict statue

And lastly, my pic of the day for this day. Its out of order - I can't remember when we saw it in relation to the other stuff, but its from the New York City Library. I need a lion for my doorstep dangit! So regal and wonderful

327 of 365: Lions and Libraries
327

to be continued....

Photobucket

No comments: