Sunday, April 5, 2009

Coons Candy

I can't very well go to Upper without posting a little bit about it.

So to get to Upper, you drive north just until WNCI cuts out, and you're there. It's about an hour from my house. I love Upper. Both my dad and my stepmom grew up there. I visited there frequently as a kid. I got married there. It just holds a lot of fond memories for me, and is a place I always held as an ideal place to raise a family. Even though Upper is a really small town, I still tend to get lost there. I think I inherited Aunt Sues sense of direction.

So, since I was going to Upper to take photos of Abby, I wanted my 365 photo to be taken there as well. I knew right away what I wanted to shoot to. If it had been December, you better believe it would have been the gingerbread house (there's this house that looks like a normal house any other time of year, but in December they deck it out with cardboard candies that make it look like a gingerbread house.... I love that house) but seeing as it's April, I went with Coons Candy.

Aunt Sue used to take my sister and I to Coons Candy whenever we would go to my grandmas house. I would always get Mint Chocolate Fudge. Jessica would shake it up (typically it was something rasberry.) I remember my biggest complaint was that Coons was never open on my birthday. My birthday is in August... Coons had no air conditioning, and was closed from the months of July to September. Biggest bummer ever.

They eventually moved to a larger, air conditioned facility, which is part of the reason why going there now isn't the same for me. But the old building is still there... with the giant wooden racoon up front. I left Mema's so late, the sun had almost set before I got to Coons to take my photos!


DSC_0559

DSC_0557

DSC_0560

DSC_0554

and 94 of 365: a lonely sunset
094

No comments: